Salvation Army in Phoenix preps for high heat!
When: Today – June 16th, 2011, 6am-7pm
Where: The Salvation Army, 2707 E. Van Buren St. Phoenix, AZ 85008
What: Please come by to drop off your donations of water or any of the other requested items (see below).
For more information, please call 602-302-7192 / 800-479-0210 or visit us online.
- 150K-200K Bottles of Water (8oz – 20 oz bottles only, please)
- Hats or Bandanas (New or slightly used)
- Lip Balm, Sunscreen or Sun Block (New only)
- Cash Donations to help purchase any items not donated
About the Water Drive
This annual drive supports our commitment to Doing the Most Good in the community by collecting items to supply the execution of The Extreme Heat Emergency Plan.
- In the summer of 2005, a prolonged heat wave resulted in the deaths of 51 people in the Phoenix metropolitan area. In 2006, we began our Extreme Heat Emergency Project, and thanks to the many continued efforts, we have contributed in drastically reducing these tragedies.
- During the summer months, eleven Hydration Stations, throughout the Valley, each manned with volunteers, distribute water and respite and safety information for those in need. The City of Phoenix Police and Park Rangers also provide mobile units to assist those who are unable to reach one of the local Hydration Stations.
- In 2009, Arizona had 23 days of excessive heat warnings and we were able to provide water to thousands of individuals. The Salvation Army also supplied over 50,000 bottles of water to partner agencies.
- The purpose of this effort is to hydrate, educate and provide referral assistance to people in or potentially in distress.
How Can I Get More Involved?
For More Information
Contact Amy Lopez at 602.267.4170 or Amy.Lopez@usw.salvationarmy.org