Like countless other people, Michael fell in with the wrong crowd and got into destructive behavior. After years of using drugs and alcohol, he wanted something different. He asked his friends if there was more to life than getting high. Sadly, they just didn’t know. Michael’s solution was to buy a one-way ticket from Ohio to California. He thought a change of friends and scenery could fix his life but it didn’t go far enough. He was still waging the same inner battle – but now with different people and in a warmer climate.
Coffee + studying = success! With this in mind, The Salvation Army in Tempe, Arizona opened a coffee house, just steps away from Arizona State University. Called 1865 Coffee, the cafe has affordable coffee, tea, espresso drinks, grilled cheese sandwiches, and of course, wifi. On a more serious note, university-age Americans don’t know as much about the work of The Salvation Army as their parents do. Or grandparents. So Lieutenants Christopher and Latisa Ratliff want to change that.
According to the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP), being isolated is just as dangerous as smoking and even more harmful than being obese. Given those dire predictions for isolated elders, what’s the Director of a Senior Center in a town with no public transportation to do? For Charlie Petersen, director of The Salvation Army’s local unit in Wickenburg, AZ, the answer is all about partnerships.
Seattle Public Utilities will launch a program on March 1 called Threadcycle which encourages people living in the area to consider giving their clothes a new purpose instead of throwing them away. A surprising number of products are made from recycled clothing, including, carpet padding; mattresses and upholstery; wiping rags; insulation and sound-proofing material for automobiles and appliances; as well as rugs and blankets.
Della (not her real name) was released from prison 6 months ago. One of the conditions of her parole was that she must enroll in the residence program at The Salvation Army’s R.J. Montgomery Center (RJMC) in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Again. You see, this is Della’s third chance at a life of sobriety and freedom at The Salvation Army’s RJMC.
A couple of months ago, I sat in a room full of men and women who’ve battled back from addiction and heard their stories. It was a very humbling experience for me.
When it was Jimmy’s turn to speak, I was stunned by the contrast between the bleak description of his former life and the joy I felt hearing him encourage others who’ve walked a similar path.
The Huffington Post recently ran a story about three Norwegian fashion bloggers who worked in a Cambodian sweatshop for a reality show. The idea of the show wasn’t to further exploit the workers but to shed a light on their living and working conditions. The unavoidable truth the bloggers discovered is that people are suffering – and sometimes dying – so that we can buy goods at a reasonable price.
If you’re looking for some inspiration to make healthy change this year, look no further than The Salvation Army’s founders William and Catherine Booth and their family. The Booths came from the Methodist tradition and – like many from their denomination – followed the vegetarian practices of John Wesley even though doing so was difficult in Victorian England.
Did you know that more than 100 years ago a social innovator changed an entire industry and by doing good, managed to save lives too? The Salvation Army’s very own founder William Booth was an early social entrepreneur who bought a derelict factory and went into business in order to fix a social ill.
Starbucks CEO Howard Shultz and Washington Post editor Rajiv Chandrasekaren collaborated on a book that was released this week, just in time for Veterans Day, called “For Love of Country.” They found that 55% of Iraq veterans felt disconnected from civilian life when they returned from deployment. That’s because fewer than 1% of Americans served in Iraq or Afghanistan and most of the other 99% who didn’t were too busy with their own lives to notice when they came home.